The Pacific Chapter (CILTNA) and our event sponsor the Port of Vancouver were pleased to host a August 29, 2017 Breakfast Meeting featuring Guest Speaker Scott Streiner, Chair and CEO, Canadian Transportation Agency.
Scott talked about a major bill which is moving through the House, Bill C-49 “The Transportation Modernization Act”. This bill has many important features, mainly affecting the air and rail modes. These include:
• New Air Passenger Bill of Rights,
• An increase in the level of foreign ownership of Canadian air carriers from 25% to 49%,
• New requirement for Canadian railways to report on rates, service and performance,
• Reciprocal rights for rail shippers to impose financial penalties on railways,
• Long haul interswitching.
The CTA will be assuming responsibility for administering most provisions in the new legislation. Concurrent with Bill C‐49 moving through the House, the CTA has been holding extensive industry consultations through its Regulatory Modernization Initiative, which is reviewing all regulations to bring them in line with modern business practices.
If you were unable to join us for that event and heat all about the transportation “happenings” in Ottawa from Scott Streiner who will give us his insights from an insider’s perspective read and download the proceedings.
Marian Robson, FCILT
Chair, Pacific Chapter